Tuesday, October 5, 2010

No Matter Where

So, a few thoughts. #1, I will never complain about being cold, the snow, the ice, or the long winter ever again. #2, I now know what the word minority means. #3, If prisons were built out of Durian Fruit no one would commit a crime. And #4, the Church is true, and our Father's love is tangible and real, no matter where you are.
After a long and somewhat death defying trip into town today Michelle and I were just chilling on the chouch, looking at the world of facebook, cuz it's our biggest connection to home, when I happened to glance out the window and saw the missionaries walking down the street. Michelle opened the door and we invited them in. It's hot here...In case you didn't know...so we turned the air on for them and offered them some water. Michelle asked if they were hungry. Now, in the Filipino culture you have to offer them food about 3 times so that they know you really do want to feed them. Very different from at home, where we feed missionaries every chance we can, and they know we want them to eat. But this is a third world country and not everyone has food to share. They are a very gracious people though, and still offer, but it is polite to say no the first 2 or 3 times before accepting. Anyway, we pulled out our staple food these days and had them make a PB&J.

We chatted a bit and talked about single's wards back at home, another thing we have in Utah that they have never heard of over here. Anyway, the Elders were around telling the inactive members about the rebroadcast of Conference next weekend, and decided to come visit us as well. Elder Landingin (No, I can't spell anything over here, but we'll pretend that's right) asked if they could share a message with us. The other Elder, who's name i can't remember, offered an opening prayer. And in his prayer he asked that we would be able to understand each other. Language is a huge challenge over here.

Elder Landingin said that during the prayer he had a scripture come to mind, and it was Mosiah 2:41. It is part of King Benjamin's speech, it speaks of keeping the commandments. That in doing so we will have true happiness. And that we need to focus on the spiritual side of things, and the commandments, all of our temporal needs will be taken care of. Michelle and I were both amazed at the inspiration.

For me, it made me smile and tear up a bit, because that was the theme for my YSA stake last year. The magnet is probably still on the fridge at home. It was perfect for me to hear, it was a testimony to me that this may be a whole other world, but the Church is just as true here as it is in Utah. I felt the Spirit stronger than I have since I stepped on the plane and left everything behind. Elder Landingin said in closing, that he wanted us to know that we are welcome in the Philippines, and that we are all brothers and sisters. I feel so loved, and that my Father is still aware of me. How beautiful to know that while everything else in my life is unfamiliar, the Gospel and the Spirit are exactly the same. I know that I belong to the only true church. And with that knowledge, even though things may be hard and this life can hurt, I can do anything.

1 comment: