Friday, October 22, 2010

They scrub where?!

I've been excited about a massage, and once I was informed that you can get a massage and a full body scrub for less than $15 I was all sorts of excited. And even though I knew it was called a "body" scrub...I must say I wasn't quite anticipating the thoroughness.

Our friend Khen took us to this salon in Mango Square. And it's surrounded by creepy, dirty alleys just like the rest of the island. But, she said it was clean and that they do a good job...so we let her lead us. After our snack (see previous post) we returned to the salon. That's when Khen left us to follow the owner, pretty sure he's gay, outside. We followed him past a homeless man, a stray cat, piles of garbage and up a back staircase. About then is when we got nervous. But once inside, it was very peaceful. Soft music, dim lighting, and beautiful curtains. This seems like a much better idea now. We changed our shoes into some white slippers and then we were taken into our spa room. So, it too was beautiful. And we then found out that Michelle and I would be in the same room. And then we were instructed to, get naked, take a shower and lie on the table.

Once they left and our laughter subsided Michelle looked at me and said, "Well, when in Rome." And we did as instructed. As I sat my towel and last article of clothing aside, I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. I jumped and looked down just in time to see the mouse run across my foot. I don't know why they always scream in the movies, because I was more like hyperventilating! I grabbed my tail and ran back into the room with Michelle. She said that I should just go back in the shower and be fast. I checked behind the door and toilet to assure myself he had vacated the area (which really just meant that he was somewhere else in the room) and quickly showered. I continued to remind myself that it could've happened anywhere. I am living in a third world country after all.

Once we were showered and laying on our tables, bonding just as my mother suggested, our scrubbers returned. Those few minutes spent laughing while draped in a towel were over...They whipped those off immediately. And all I could do was giggle to myself and think of how none of this would ever happen at home! They scrubbed us with some awesome smelling vanilla and honey concoction. Now, let me put it this way...about a 4 inch area wasn't scrubbed. The rest of my body was returned to it's newborn smoothness. My junk in the trunk was no exception. Although I was forewarned, nothing really prepares you for a slip of the hand into the crack. So, after the back of me was coated, I was instructed to roll over, yeah...the girls got a good scrub too. And, there was some speaking in vasaya exchanged...I choose to believe they're just jealous of my curves. Once they were done we were told to shower again.

Michelle went first so I stood, completely naked outside the door holding my towel with 2 fingers so as not to get the scrub on it. That was fun. I continued to search for the hidden mouse. But we didn't see him again. After the shower, and that stuff is hard to get out of the crevices, by the way. I felt like that sandwich on the mustard commercial who hates the beach because he gets "sand in all his crevices". We were once again stripped of our towels and now coated in a green paste/mud concoction. They wrapped us up in a sheet and left us all egg-rolled-up for 15 minutes. Michelle and I spent this time finally making eye contact and discussing who in our family we would and who we wouldn't (Aubrey) be bringing to this fun stuff. We showered again and this stuff was even harder to remove from the whole body.

At this point we were allowed to "put on just panties" and that was a huge comfort. Then began the most relaxing and wonderful massage you can even imagine. They climbed on the tables and really worked those muscles. They worked all of our joints and even gave the old booty some attention. It was absolutely wonderful!

So, even though it was a bit unnerving and a little bit unexpected it was fabulous! I can't wait to go back! Michelle and I sure did bond...it's hard not to when you're naked for 3 hours. And the girls were great, you could tell it wasn't a big deal to them, which made it more comfortable for us.

To end of the exciting and relaxing afternoon, we crossed a big street. No crosswalks or lights needed over here. And rode a jeepney. The taxi's were all occupied. Michelle and I were the only white people on our packed jeepney. And I just started laughing. We were like the cream in a double stuffed oreo. It was great. It felt like I imagine the animls in the zoo feel like, being stared and pointed at all the time. We made it to the mall and took a taxi to the house. We had wonderful fish for dinner and went to sleep. What a day!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, was I one of those that you would take to enjoy the "fun stuff"? I just don't know...but thanks for the laugh on your part!

    ReplyDelete